We’re Google Workers, and We Are Forming a Union
Our company’s motto used to be “Don’t be evil.” An organized work force will help us live up to it.
On Nov. 1, 2018, at 11:10 a.m., some 20,000 Google employees, along with employees of Waymo, Verily and other Alphabet companies, stopped working and walked off the job in cities around the world. A week earlier, The New York Times reported that the company had paid tens of millions of dollars to two executives who had been accused of sexual misconduct toward our co-workers, staying silent about the alleged abuse and letting them walk away with no consequences.
People speaking at the protests that morning recounted their own experiences of harassment and discrimination at the company. In San Francisco, one woman held up a sign reading, “I reported and he got promoted.” Others read, “Happy to quit for $90 million, no sexual harassment required” and “Unfair workplaces create unfair platforms.”
We’d had enough.
Read the full op-ed in The New York Times.
Download our press kit.
Email us at [email protected].
Follow us for updates: RSS feed
- 2023-03-22 – Statement from Alphabet Workers Union-CWA in support of CA bill SB 403 to ban caste discrimination
- 2023-02-14 – Statement from Alphabet Workers Union-CWA in support of Seattle ordinance to ban caste discrimination
- 2023-02-03 – Google YouTubeWorkers Go On Historic #YouTubeMusicStrike with Overwhelming Support
- 2023-01-24 – YouTube Music Workers Unionized with Alphabet Workers Union-CWA File ULP Against RTO Attempts that Would Disrupt Union Organizing
- 2023-01-11 – In Response to Worker Demands—Thousands of Alphabet Contract Workers Secure Historic Pay Raise
- 2022-11-18 – Google Cancels Talk by Hindu Fundamentalist & Announces New Policies Regarding External Speakers Thanks to Efforts by Workers to End Caste Discrimination at Google
- 2022-11-15 – Recent Layoffs in the Tech Industry
- 2022-11-03 – Alphabet Workers Union-CWA Call Out Attempts by Google to Block Pay Transparency Efforts Amongst Temporary, Vendor and Contract Workers with Filing of Unfair Labor Practice Charges
- 2022-10-24 – YouTube Music Contract Workers Unionize with Alphabet Workers Union-CWA & File Petition with NLRB to Win Bargaining Rights
- 2022-10-06 – AWU-CWA files two Unfair Labor Practice charges against Google Data Center contractors
- 2022-08-30 – Jewish Google worker forced to resign after opposing company’s $1.2 billion contract with Israel
- 2022-08-23 – Company settles after AWU-CWA filed NLRB charge in response to Google Fiber worker being told “union members not eligible for raises”
- 2022-08-17 – Over 650 Alphabet workers sign petition demanding post-Roe protections
- 2022-06-06 – Alphabet must add caste as a protected category and address caste-based harms in its workplace
- 2022-06-06 – Google contract workers with Artech win thousands in backpay, highlighting pay transparency & wage theft issues facing Google TVCs
- 2022-06-02 – After Workers Threaten Strike, Google Maps Workers Win Return to Office Extension with Support from AWU-CWA
- 2022-05-24 – Google Maps Contract Workers in Bothell, WA say NO to RTO
- 2022-05-04 – Google broken promises: Subcontractors paid $10/hr in spite of Google policy which claims $15/hr minimum
- 2022-03-25 – Google Fiber Subcontractors Celebrate Blowout NLRB Election Win
- 2022-03-14 – Google Employees Launch Petition Calling Foul as Google Cloud Support Announces Layoffs
- 2022-02-18 – AWU-CWA Workers Demand Pay Equity for Offices Aimed at Diversity Recruitment as Google Cuts Worker Pay
- 2022-01-06 – Google Fiber TVC Workers in Kansas City Unionize with Alphabet Workers Union & File Petition with NLRB to Win Bargaining Rights
- 2021-12-01 – Google Contractor Fired for Being “UnGoogley”—Workers Fight to End Retaliation For Discussing Wages
- 2021-11-04 – Modis Workers At Google Data Centers Succeed in Getting Hazard Pay, Following Collective Actions
- 2021-09-15 – AWU Letter Calls On Alphabet to Deliver Pay Parity For All Temporary Workers
- 2021-06-01 – Alphabet Workers Union calling on Google and G4S to #DroptheDeadnames
- 2021-05-07 – Google early childhood education workers launch letter asking for transportation stipend
- 2021-04-13 – Caste discrimination must be addressed in the US
- 2021-03-31 – Google, Modis Must Post Notices Informing Workers of Rights, Rescind Suspension of Worker Following Settlement with Alphabet Workers Union
- 2021-03-25 – Statement of the Alphabet Workers Union On “the Misinformation and Disinformation Plaguing Online Platforms” Before the House Energy and Commerce Committee March 25, 2021
- 2021-02-04 – Workers Fight Google Contractor’s Attempt to Bar Discussion of Wages
- 2021-01-20 – AWU statement on retaliation against Margaret Mitchell
- 2021-01-07 – AWU statement on fascist coup attempt
- 2021-01-04 – Google Workers, Demanding Change at Work, Are Launching a Union With the Communications Workers of America